CHANGES TO WI-FI ACCESS
Since SouthWest Transit made free public Wi-Fi available to its passengers, the internet and how data is used has changed dramatically. Streaming media and data downloads are consuming more data than ever. It has become cost prohibitive for SWT to continue to offer the free Wi-Fi with it’s current “All Access” model. SWT will begin steps to reduce the amount of data consumed by its passengers to better provide a consistent experience to all riders.
August 6, 2018, SouthWest Transit will implement a content filtering system that will reduce the amount of data that is used on the network. This includes blocking the following:
- Downloading of files
- OS system updates – Windows Updates
- App Downloads
- Audio Streaming (Pandora/Spotify)
- Video Streaming (Netflix/Hulu)
Limiting the above items will bring an increase in WiFi reliability creating a better experience for all users.
Most apps allow for offline downloading to your device so you can load it at home and watch on the bus without using your or our data plan. Check your app for details.
This filtering model is in line with what other providers in the public-sector follow.
Thank you for riding SouthWest Transit.
TIPS FOR CONNECTING
- Users will now connect to "SouthWest Bus WiFi". This is a change from before when you connected to the bus number.
- Users will need to accept the terms and conditions page that will appear when connecting to the bus WiFi.
- If you do not see a terms and conditions page, please open up a web browser and go to www.google.com This should bring up the terms page.
- Apple users will need to click on DONE after successfully accepting the terms and conditions page to close the success window.
- If you can't connect, please restart your device and try again.
For any questions, concerns or issues with connectivity regarding the bus WiFi, please fill out the form below. Thank you.